Tuesday, July 25, 2006

So where do you write?

I have heard it directly from people that some write their journal in the loo, the car, the park, the bed, in cafes, in class, the garage (true!). In the New Century Notebook Project I was lucky enough to get some really great replies from people about their journal writing habits ... and where people wrote was really important to some people.

Most writers also choose where they write ... and find places that inspire different kinds of writing.
I thought I might raise the topic after reading Paul Gavin's blog entry this week ... where he talks about sitting on a dock of a local lake to write. I mean how classic is that dream for many writers!
"Where you write often depends on the type of journal you have. "

For people writing dream journals, morning pages and night time reviews the bedroom (and usually in bed!) is the place of choice ... But if you have a journal you carry with you everywhere you might write in a 100 different places ...

How does where you write ... affect what you write? Think about that. For bloggers? If you write your blog at work and home and on your laptop in different places, does it change what you write?

3 comments:

Scooter McGavin said...

My writing is glued to my desktop computer. Occationally Ill actually handwrite something if I'm not near it, then transfer it later.

rebeleyeball said...

Thanks for mentioning me. Personally, I believe I write much better when I am at the lake or on "my couch". I do not like sitting at a desk to write - I guess it feels too much like work!

EDavis said...

Very interesting...I always blog in the same place, but sometimes when I write I'll write in different places. For me, a blog is more of a way to rant and vent steam, and writing on paper can do anything I want it to.

Thanks for letting me think about this...