Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Not everyone blogs ... or blogs freely ...

I forget that the whole world doesn't blog ... Self-centred I know, but if I cloister myself away for too long I forget the rest of the world is different.

"I find it horrifying that people live in countries where they can't blog, or blogs are censored or they can't read international blogs and worse still some people are imprisoned for what they write on blogs."


But it happens.

And that sucks.

What would it feel like to be blogging in a country where you knew you were putting yourself at risk? Would you still blog? How would it affect what you wrote?

I realise that free speech is something I take for granted, despite my sense of history. For today I am going to appreciate it. And ponder on how the blogging community can help others not so lucky ...

4 comments:

threecollie said...

I don't think many of realize what we have here in the USA. If we don't like something we can change it. Amazing!
You visited me the other day (thanks btw) and invited me to join your project. Just wanted to tell you that I am already on board.
And I think it is a really cool idea.

Anji said...

We do take free speech for granted and it's not just about blogging!

Pamela J Weatherill said...

As long as we appreciate it at the very least ... it makes me quite sad.

Pamela J Weatherill said...

Yeah ... about as free as you can get ... but if I disappear Mr F ... get someone to pay my bail ok? :-)