Friday, April 27, 2007

Journal Circa 1939


I have this lovely piece of art in my hands ... an old journal from 1939. I usually only collect journals with some writing in them, but this one is so lovely ... a hardbound book with a partial leather binding ... it's an executive journal, from England.

I love that journals (even blank ones) seem to record some of the most ordinary parts of our day.
And to be honest, the best parts of most days are the ordinary ... aren't they?


Here are are some interesting facts from April 27 1939 ... It was the 117th day of the year ... and there were 248 more to go until 1940 ... It was Thursday ... The sun was expected to rise in London at 0542 and set at 2015 - with lighting being up at 2115 (hmmmm what did people do for that hour in between one must ask?). It also says "High water London Bridge 8.16am and 8.38pm" .... anyone got more than an educated guess as to why that information was important? What is very quaint ... is the saying for the day (don't forget that this is an 'executive's diary'):

"What a slow and gloomy affair the day's shopping would be if the housewife could not believe a word she was told".


More later ... when I stop giggling.

1 comment:

Flea said...

HI Pam, I'm glad to see you are back and blogging again, I've missed reading your journal bits.
I thought I can actually smell this book you are talking about.
I popped in a second hand book store the other day and had to tear myself away from there, I want so much!
Take care!