Saturday, January 20, 2007

My Grandma Wrote a Journal!


Can you imagine how excited I was to learn this news!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

It was like - "OH MY GOODNESS". I couldn't think straight for a little bit when I heard the news. My poor cousin is here down under visiting from Canada at the moment and she just mentioned in passing that she had read Grandma's diary and that it is "full of ordinary things like what she did each day, going shopping and things like that".

I nearly lost my breath, fainted, & screamed with delight! To know that I come from a genetic pool that includes a diary writer! Horray. I am not alone in being the mad diary writing one in my family anymore. Phew! To think that it is in family hands and wasn't destroyed or given to a local museum or historical society too. I am so pleased it is in family hands. My grandma died before I was born so I never got to meet her ... but my mum tells stories about her.

I asked my Mum if she knew that HER mum had kept a diary and it was a total surprise to her too. It's so exciting. Of course now I need to work out how to get an airfare to Canada solely for the purpose of reading it ... hmmm ... what can I sell on e-bay?

Seriously - it has given me such a boost of motivation for this project just knowing she kept one ... But now of course my cousin think's I'm some kinda strange person - I'll need to work on that and start acting normal again! (By the way this is a pic of my Gramma in Sept 1960 - don't you LOVE the feather?).

2 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

Can't your cousin send you photocopies?

My father's cousin transcribed his grandfather's diary (my great grandfather's), and it's good to have.

Anji said...

I hope she'll be able to lend you the diaries